Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Moules Provencale

Shellfish - it’s one of my favorite things to have all summer.  So I decided to try something new last night.

Moules Provencale is a mussel dish prepared (I guess) a sort of Provencale way - which indicated to me that a rose from Provence was absolutely necessary for pairing with dinner, and truthfully, any excuse I have to drink rose in the warmer months is a bonus for me.

The fresh mussels were cleaned and then steamed in a large pot with white wine.

In a separate pot, I heated some olive oil, and sauteed chopped onions, then added finely chopped garlic, and then deglazed with a bit more white wine.  After stirring, I added about a tablespoon of tomato paste, and then about 14 oz of canned plum tomatoes which I rough chopped, and the tomato juice from the can.  Give it another stir, and then I added plenty of kosher salt, black pepper, a few sprigs of fresh thyme, and lots of fresh chopped parsley.  I then let it cook down a bit on simmer, stirring often.

A few moments later, the mussels were opened and cooked nicely, and the sauce was done.  The mussels get placed in a bowl or on a plate, and topped with some of the sauce.  It’s that easy.  Just add some crusty bread and chilled rose and you’re good to go - a quick, easy, inexpensive, delicious, healthy summer dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment