Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Autumn Appetizer - Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs


I’m a summer sort of person - I love the hot weather, I love drinking rose’ on the porch or dock, I love watching baseball, I just prefer summer over any other time of the year.  But when it comes to recipes and cool flavors and aromas, few things can top autumn.

I’ve got so many food related posts to work on as I’ve been experimenting quite a lot in the kitchen these days, but something I’d like to share this weekend is my favorite autumn appetizer.  It’s easy and fairly quick to make and very seasonal, and I’ve been making it for a few years and each time I enjoy it more.

Basically, they’re goat cheese stuffed figs.  Simple enough, right?

We have fig trees in our yard but they’re easy enough to find in a store at this time of the year, and I mean fresh figs, not the dried kind, as they’re easier to stuff when they’re fresh, as opposed to reconstituted.  Anyway, I recommend black mission figs.  And you can buy the small log of fresh plain goat cheese or you can buy the crumbled kind (which is actually a lot easier when stuffing, but it’s up to you and depends on what you can find, obviously).

I begin by cutting the stem plus a bit of the top off the fig, and then I clean some of the inside out of the fig - leave some but clean some out.  When you’ve cleaned out all the figs, begin stuffing them with goat cheese.  Once they’re all stuffed and on a platter, sprinkle them (and be conservative) with ground nutmeg, and drizzle with fresh lemon juice (again, be conservative) and honey.  It’s to die for.

I’d recommend some prosciutto di Parma on the side - the delicate meat and saltiness is perfect alongside the sweet fig and tangy goat cheese.  And I’d also recommend a sparkling wine - I almost always go with a sparkling rose’ when pairing with this appetizer.

Sounds easy and delicious?  That’s because it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment